Monday, May 22, 2006

A New England

After writing about Billy Bragg last week, I've decided that this week's Musical Monday has to be a Billy Bragg song. Although I love so many of Billy's songs, my favourite will always be the first one I ever heard: A New England. Less than two and a half minutes long and both vocally and musically very simple - just Billy and his guitar, it is nevertheless one of my all-time favourite songs.

Looking through my music collection, I was surprised to find that I have four different versions of A New England (five, if you include the cover by Kirsty MacColl, for whom Billy wrote two additional verses). I have decided to include two versions. The first is a studio version from Billy's 'best of' collection, Must I Paint You A Picture, the second is from one of Billy's John Peel sessions and is probably closest to the version I first heard and fell in love with.






A New England - Billy Bragg (Must I Paint You A Picture: The Essential Billy Bragg, 2003; The Peel Sessions. 1991)

7 comments:

Cat said...

Love it! This morning I'm mostly listening to Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding is my favourite track although I do prefer the Robert Wyatt version. Unfortunately the stupid phones keep ringing meaning I need to turn him off. The musical tastes in my office are very diverse so it's a treat to have something that everyone appreciates. No-one likes it when W and I bray along to Tammy Wynette...

Anonymous said...

I've always had a folky fondness for billy. My favourite is Valentine's Day is Over, which is on a very depressing subject of domestic abuse but is a beautiful song all the same.

Thanks for the cheer on friday Julie. Perhaps when I've finished kicking the crepe out of my bloghosting I will be able to write another entry...(bloghosts are currently saying "please log into your cp for support" - unfortunately cp is saying "who are you?"). As arnie would say "I'll be back - I'd better be I've paid".

Broo said...

Wonderful choice.

Unknown said...

Brilliant tune. I must admit I had only heard Kirsty's version until now. I love his voice.

Julie Midas said...

CatGirl - I'm partial to a bit of Elvis Costello now and again. Not sure what my fave song would be. New Amsterdam, maybe, or Man Out Of Time or Pills & Soap... Have to agree about Robert Wyatt. His version of Shipbuilding always makes me fee a bit emotional.

Caffeine Driven - I like Levi Stubbs' Tears which has a similar theme.

Great news that the bank liked your Business Plan. Hope your site's up and running again soon.

Broo - Glad you liked it!

Kell - Yeah, I'm very biased but I could listen to Billy Bragg's voice for hours on end!

WDKY said...

Both excellent. I'm really quite embarrassed to admit that I haven't listed to nearly enough Kirsty MacColl. I'm going to flagellate myself now.

Julie Midas said...

WDKY,

I don't believe for one minute that you need to self-flagellate! ;-)