Monday, October 23, 2006

This Charming Man

Back in the blogging loop. Back to Musical Monday. This week's choice is in memory of the late, great John Peel; undoubtedly the biggest single influence on my musical tastes. I know the 'official' celebration was Peel Day on the 12th October but, as this week marks the second anniversary of John's death on 25th October, I'd like to offer my own little tribute.

In 1981, when I was fourteen, my Dad decorated my bedroom. I acquired a whole new set of furniture, including a desk and a bedside unit with a built-in Binatone radio-alarm clock. My life changed. No longer forced to do my homework at the kitchen table, my evenings were now spent largely in my bedroom, ostensibly working on my homework and inevitably listening to Radio 1. Although I'd always been an avid radio listener, I'd rarely ventured away from the daytime wallpaper of charts and playlists; night-time radio was a revelation! From 8 'til 10 was the dulcet tones of David Jensen. David played new music and sessions from bands on the edge of commercial success (the 1980s, male version of Jo Whiley?). He was responsible for introducing me to the delights of (amongst others) Everything But The Girl. John Peel, however, was something else!

The first time I heard John's Peel's show I was somewhat bemused. He didn't sound remotely like anyone I'd ever heard on Radio 1. Where was the slick patter, the cheesy DJ cliches? As for the music, I can't pretend that I liked all of it, but to be exposed to such a multitude of different sounds, to have the opportunity to listen to so many different bands was incredible. My little musical bubble began to grow.

Pretty soon John Peel was essential listening for me. From Monday to Thursday, 10 'til midnight, I'd be there, listening to the radio. I loved John Peel's dry wit, the way he spoke about his family and the palpable enthusiasm he had for the music he played. Saturday afternoons were spent in Barnsley's mecca of indie music, Casa Disco, seeking out some of the tunes I'd heard. Favourites from the era include B-Movie's Nowhere Girl and More than a Dream by The Farmer's Boys. However, my biggest reasons to be forever thankful to the memory of John Peel are Billy Bragg and The Smiths, both of whom I first heard on The John Peel Show.

Once I left Barnsley for the bright lights of Birmingham, my evenings were often otherwise occupied but I still listened to John Peel when the opportunity arose. Even as a mother of three, I was still pleased to catch the show - most often in the car, driving home after a late finish at work.

My feeling of loss when I heard that John Peel had died was far beyond anything I'd previously felt when someone in the public eye had passed away. October half-term and we were driving back from a family day out at Twinlakes. A radio news flash imparted the sad news. I felt like I'd lost a good friend.

So, what to play in memory of John Peel? For me, it had to be something by Billy Bragg or the Smiths and as Billy has previously featured in my Musical Monday selections, I give you a song I'm sure you're all familiar with, This Charming Man by The Smiths. This version is taken from the album, Hatful of Hollow, and was recorded for a John Peel session at the BBC's Maida Vale Studios in September 1983.

John Peel, thank you.




This Charming Man - The Smiths (Hatful of Hollow, 1984)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember disbelief at hearing the newsflash on the way home that day. I wasn't such a big fan as you but it was still a shock, and you could tell that most people at the BBC were really shocked too.

The Boy said...

Not having grown up "over here" there wasn't a John Peel equivalent in Canada. All the radio stations were commercial, so it was a tad bit different. What's been interesting is hearing the effect just one man had on the musical taste in this country. You're not the only one that's lauded him. Its put him on the list of people I really would have liked to know.

Julie Midas said...

Cam - Yes, there was definitely a lot less of the fake mourning that's often in evidence when a 'celebrity' dies.

The Boy - The thing about John Peel was that he was so genuinely enthusiastic about music that he really made you want to listen. As I said in my post, I didn't always like everything he played but his taste was so eclectic there would always be something that grabbed me.

NML/Natalie said...

Finally catching up on some blog reading and wanted to say welcome back. I am slightly shamed to say that I've never listened to John Peel...

Cat said...

Welcome back, missus, I'm so happy you're writing your blog again, I've missed you! And I'm delighted to see you've picked a good track to get back into Musical Mondays with - what could be better than a post combining the late, great John Peel and Saint Morrissey? Two of my heroes in one day.

Incidentally, I've tickets for Morrissey in December. I'm swithering whether or not to actually go. He was so disappointing in April touring that dog of an album. But I'm worried he may never tour again. Arrgghhh.

Anonymous said...

Barnsley for Birmingham, eh :-)

Nice to see you back x

Julie Midas said...

Oooh comments! Just back from a few days in Barnsley, hence the delay in replying. Thank you for the welcome back, everyone. I really must stop doing the big disappearing act...

Cat - I don't know why, because he has made some brilliant songs, but Morrissey solo has never had the same lure for me as The Smiths did. It's a real shame when you've seen someone and they've been disappointing but, knowing how fabulous Morrissey can be, I think if you don't go to the gig you'll probably end up kicking yourself.

Inciidentally, I went to a very 'interesting' Badly Drawn Boy gig in Sheffield last night. Will post about it later.

Eddy said...

I 'knew' John Peel mainly from his Home Truths broadcasts rather than from Radio 1 - it's a cliche, but Saturday mornings just aren't the same. Shoes impossible to fill!

Julie Midas said...

Hello and welcome, James. I've just re-read the previous comments and realised that I never did get around to writing about Badly Drawn Boy...

Kell said...

Nice to see you back! :)

Loved John Peel and I remember hearing about his sad death on holiday too.

I was given his biography soon after as a gift. It was a great read.