Monday, June 05, 2006

Seven Days In Sunny June

Well, I'm not really sure where the last week's gone. Time certainly flies when the children are on holiday from school!

Monday and Tuesday were spent visiting my parents in Barnsley and surprisingly, as I mentioned in my last post, I had a pretty good time. Cam, Daisy and I escaped on Monday afternoon for a drive over the moors. A mere fifteen minutes from my parent's house and you're on the edge of the Peak District with some spectacular views. The hills are one aspect of Yorkshire I really do miss. Although Leicestershire has some attractive countryside, it can't compete with the stark beauty of the moors. Having no map and only the vaguest idea of where we were going, we tried to find the
windmills of Royd Moor. After failing to find the road up to the top of the moor, we abandoned the attempt and decided instead to visit Emley Moor and the infamous TV transmission tower which dominates the skyline for miles around.

Tuesday saw us heading off into the countryside again. With Mum directing, we managed this time to drive to the top of Royd Moor and visited the recently erected viewing point. Mum also introduced us to the delights of the local
farm shop and café with homemade scones to die for. (How do you say scone, by the way - do you pronounce it to rhyme with phone or to rhyme with gone? For me, it's the former and I completely disagree with Dominic Byrne on Radio 1 who said this morning that my version is the 'posh' pronunciation!)

The sun finally arrived on Wednesday and we had a lovely day out at
Warwick Castle. It's sometimes difficult to find places to visit that will appeal to all three children but we seemed to manage it this time. I think Cam found the ramparts walk with a nervous Joe and a completely fearless Daisy a little hairy, though! George doesn't like heights so we stayed safely at ground level and found other things to see.

Cam went back to work on Thursday and the children and I spent most of Thursday and Friday enjoying the sun in our local parks. Friday evening was Big Brother eviction night and I was happy to see sleazy Sezer get the chop. I don't think I've ever seen an evictee look so shocked as he did when his name was called.


Saturday was spent shopping, catching up on domestic chores and I accompanied Daisy to a birthday party at our local soft play area whilst Cam and the boys went for a bike ride. I was back at work yesterday but didn't have a lot to do. Presumably people have better things to do than phone for a moan when the sun is shining!


So here we are. Monday again. The boys are back at school, Daisy is chilling out after pre-school and it's time to choose my song for
Musical Monday.

(Edited to add: Audioblog seems to be having some problems. Musical Monday will follow once normal service is resumed...)


Seven Days In Sunny June - Jamiroquai (Dynamite, 2005)

6 comments:

The Boy said...

Now that sounds like a lovely week.

WDKY said...

Sounds like the Julie Midas life is a rather lovely one...

I used Castpost this week. Then I realised it was Blogger that was playing up, and not Audioblog!

Julie Midas said...

The Boy,
Yes, it was good to have a stretch of quality family time.

WDKY,
I realised after a while that it was Blogger too. (I was able to publish the audio but couldn't edit). Off to listen to your Jeff Buckley track now - I read the post yesterday but didn't have time to listen or comment.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a faun filled half term. We didnt go anywhere but had nice relaxing time at home. Thank god for the sunshine, makes for a far less stressful break. Ive never been to the moors or even seen any pictures. Did you take any?

NML/Natalie said...

Sezer's eviction was the funniest thing I have seen for ages! It sounds like you had a nice week and I hope you're enjoying the glorious sunshine today :-)

tracy said...

ooh lovely, Seven days in Sunny June is one of my favourite Jami tracks and just perfect at the moment!
I agree the look on Sezer's face was classic. I'm looking forward to Grace's when she goes now!