Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Boy Done Good

Thursday 4th May. Billy Bragg. What can I say about him? I've been a fan since the early 1980's when I first heard A New England on John Peel's late night show on Radio 1. During my politically-active student days I was a staunch supporter of Red Wedge, the collective fronted by Billy Bragg and I've continued to enjoy Billy's music throughout my adult life. (In fact the title of this blog is taken from a Billy Bragg album - Life's A Riot With Spy Vs Spy. ) I was thrilled, therefore, to hear that Billy was to play Leicester's De Montfort Hall and snapped up tickets at the earliest opportunity.

I'd expected the audience for this gig to be far older than the ones I've been to recently but it was actually a very mixed crowd - Billy is evidently still appealing to the student generation! The audience was, however, considerably more sedate than at recent gigs. Cam and me had standing tickets and managed to comfortably maintain our front of hall, centre-stage position throughout the evening. I don't think I was jostled once!

The support act was Seth Lakeman, one of last year's Mercury Music Prize nominees. Seth plays his own unique brand of indie-folk and performed a passionate and energetic set. Possibly not to everyone's taste but well worth a listen if you haven't heard any of his music. As an added bonus, he's absolutely gorgeous too!

The theme of the tour was Hope Not Hate, with an anti-fascist message, targeted in particular at the British National party. In his usual style, Billy interspersed his songs with banter, jokes and a liberal sprinkling of politics, making for a fabulously entertaining evening. Although I may not agree with absolutely everything Billy says, I'm definitely with him most of the way. Billy was accompanied on keyboards by Sir Ian McLagan, formerly of The Small Faces and The Faces and there was evidently a great rapport between the two men. There were old songs, new songs and updated songs. The evening ended with two encores - the second of which was an audience sing-along to most of the tracks from Billy's first two albums. The evening was incredible value for money and I left the hall feeling uplifted and, if truth be told, slightly emotional and teary. Billy Bragg, I love you!


The Boy Done Good - Billy Bragg (Reaching To The Converted, 1999)

11 comments:

Broo said...

I love it when you get what you expect (or more) out of shows. It makes all the better! :)

Julie Midas said...

Couldn't agree more, Broo!

Curly K said...

There is nothing quite like the thrill of having been to a good concert. Mind you I rarely go and they have to be seated as I get a little claustrophobic when I'm in the middle of a big crowd so could never do the likes of Glastonbury etc.

Glad to hear you really enjoyed Mr. Bragg!

Cat said...

I'm not a huge Billy Bragg fan, but did see him live a while back and thought he put on a really good show. I loved his version of A New England.

Julie Midas said...

Curly K,

I never make it to any of the festivals, either. The main problem for me is that they're always over a weekend and I work every Sunday. My annual leave never quite stretches far enough!

Funnily enough, I don't get claustrophic at gigs but put me in a crowded department store where I can't see the exit and I definitely start to feel a bit jittery!


CatGirl,

Billy Bragg's, A New England would definitely feature in my top 10 all-time favourite songs. (Not sure what the complete 10 would be, I might try compiling it one day...)

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention the Angus Deayton lookalike playing box drum for Seth! He played well but he looked a little embarrassed, as if someone had stolen his real drum kit. Good writeup otherwise though :)

Julie Midas said...

Oh yes, Mr Box Drum! He did look slightly sheepish. I think he must have made more of an impact on you than me, though - I was too busy drooling over Seth! ;-)

NML/Natalie said...

I have no idea who you're talking about... ;-)

Julie Midas said...

Never mind, NML. Just keep listening to Michael Jackson... ;-)

WDKY said...

I was going to leave a meaningful comment, then I saw your reponse to NML and forgot what I was going to say. Go easy on her, Julie, she's got a thing about pubes that clouds her judgement a bit in other areas. And have a lovely weekend.

PS I saw MJ once, many years ago. He was at Wembley, with The Stones. Can you believe that?

Julie Midas said...

Wow, Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones - what a combination!

I actually love some of MJ's songs, though I find MJ himself a bit hard to get my head round...

The weekend's looking pretty wet and grim so far. Time for a family trip to Borders - coffee, snacks and retail therapy!