Sunday, April 23, 2006

One In Ten

Yesterday was Joe's birthday. Ten years old. A whole decade! And yes, I'm still struggling to believe it! It really does not seem like ten years since we were there in the hospital: one not so small (4.12kg/9lb 1oz) baby - slightly cone-headed from a traumatic ventouse delivery but otherwise perfect - and one euphoric, albeit somewhat nervous, new mother, wondering just what was in store for us...

Joe's birthday present this year was a much longed-for mobile phone. He's been desperate to have one for so long now but, in my opinion, he's still a little too young and I was determined to hold out until his eleventh birthday, just before he goes to secondary school. However, as all Joe's friends now have mobiles and he was beginning to feel left out, we finally conceded. He was absolutely thrilled to finally get his phone and the house has been buzzing to the rhythm of various ringtones all weekend!

As Joe was not having his birthday party until today, yesterday was a relatively quiet day (ringtones aside!). We went out for lunch (Joe's choice - Pizza Hut) but the rest of day was spent chilling out at home which was just what I needed after my time away. Cam's younger brother, Gastón, called round in the evening and George and Daisy demanded he play with them until bedtime. As can be seen in the photo, Uncle Gastón even had the pleasure of reading Topsy and Tim! It's all good practice, though - his wife, Madeline, is expecting their first baby in August.

This afternoon was Joe's birthday 'party' - petrol go-karting with five of his friends, followed by home made pizzas and choc chip cookies back at home. Joe had been counting down to today for so long that I was worried that it couldn't possibly live up to his expectations. Luckily, the boys all had a fabulous time. I'm not sure that I'd like to entertain seven noisy boys and one extremely noisy little girl every day, though...


One In Ten - UB40 (The Very Best of UB40 1980 - 2000, 2000)

2 comments:

NML/Natalie said...

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was cracking up laughing as I'm sure I saw WDKY's tarty thigh in you're column ;-) Happy birthday to your son who has reminded me of my fear of childbirth - 9lbs 1 - jaysus! Your kids look very cute and tell him he's lucky he got a mobile phone - we were lucky if we got a bag of coal back in our day ;-)

Julie Midas said...

Gosh, you got a whole bag of coal for your birthday? We had to go down the mines and extract it ourselves oop north!

Just to make your eyes water a little more - Joe was actually the smallest of my babies! His brother was a whopping 9lb 9!

As for the cuteness, let's just say appearances can be deceptive!