Monday, April 24, 2006

Blueberry Pies

In honour of Joe's recent birthday, this week's selection for Musical Monday is not only an old favourite of mine but one of Joe's too...

The album from which this track is taken - Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout - is, for me, the perfect pop album - undemanding yet never boring, gorgeous melodies and quirky lyrics.

Back in 1985, when the album was released, I recorded Steve McQueen on one side of an audio cassette (remember those?!) and on the other side, another classic of the time, Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. After a heavy night out, when my head was buzzing, I'd listen to the cassette as I went to sleep and let the beautiful, gentle songs work their magic...

From an early age, Joe developed a major obsession with motorbikes and, at almost two, was utterly delighted to discover my copy of Steve McQueen with the motorbike on the cover. It became his "Motorbike Music" and, for a period of around six months, he insisted on listening to the album - on headphones - every night as he went to sleep...

As with last week's selection, choosing just one track from the album wasn't easy. My favourite song is probably When Love Breaks Down. The song was released as a single but, disappointingly, only achieved a number 25 position in the UK charts. However, and for no particular reason, I'm in more of a Blueberry Pies mood today so that's the song you've got. Happy Listening!



Edited to add: Well, there's not a great deal of Monday left now (Blogger wouldn't let me publish all day and I've been working all evening) but I finally made it!


Blueberry Pies - Prefab Sprout (Steve McQueen, 1985)

4 comments:

WDKY said...

Blogger was a b*stard, wasn't it? Anyway, very interesting choice, which I thoroughly enjoyed, Julie. And yes, I remember taping onto cassette all too well. And those black plastic cases for the car.

Happy MM, and thanks for playing :-)

Julie Midas said...

Oh, I'm always happy to waffle on about music at the slightest provocation ;-)

And yes, Blogger certainly was a b*stard yesterday!

NML/Natalie said...

Musical Monday's are always about music I haven't a clue about. It makes for interesting reading and listening!

Julie Midas said...

Yeah, the ones I've chosen so far are probably a bit before your time! I think I'll have to make an effort to choose something a little less old next week!