Monday, May 15, 2006

Nightporter


It's that time of the week again and today's Musical Monday is an unashamedly self-indulgent choice.

Japan were formed in Catford in 1974 by school mates David Sylvian (real name David Batt) and Mick Karn (Anthony Michelides), together with David's younger brother, Steve Jansen (Steve Batt). The band originally played guitar-based glam rock. I didn't become aware of the band, however, until after the release of their fourth album, Gentleman Take Polaroids in 1980, by which time the band had moved to a more electronic-based sound and were at the forefront of the New Romantic movement.

Having discovered Japan, at the age of thirteen, I quickly became obsessed with both the band and their music. I was alone in this, despite my best efforts, as my unenlightened friends failed to see the attraction. I even joined the fan club and remember wearing my burgundy and silver enamelled badge with great pride! Japan were my adolescent heroes, the black and white pin ups on the cork board of my early 1980's bedroom and I played their albums endlessly. Japan's music saw me through a period of feeling intensely isolated as I was bullied at school, through my O-Level years and into my first serious relationship.

Nightporter has always been my favourite Japan track and even now, after all these years, whenever I hear it I have to stop everything I'm doing and just listen...




Nightporter - Japan (Gentlemen Take Polaroids, 1980)

6 comments:

Cat said...

Love it! Totally identify with what you're saying about your schooldays - your Japan was my Smiths and later Morrissey. (Perhaps not the most uplifting choice, but hey!)

Julie Midas said...

Oh, I'm passionate about The Smiths too! They followed on from Japan as my next major musical obsession. In fact, I was tempted to go for something by The Smiths today but couldn't decide which song to choose...

Anonymous said...

I saw The Smiths, Meat is Murder tour. I got squished, fainted and carried over the crowd to the backstage in the arms of a seemingly 7ft bouncer. Ahh, them were the days. "I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does".

Julie Midas said...

Halcyon days, Caffeine Driven :-)

WDKY said...

Wow, Japan... what an inspired choice Julie.

You're very good at this.

Julie Midas said...

Thank you, WDKY :-)