Monday, May 01, 2006

Camping Next To Water

As my last two offerings for Musical Monday have been from the eighties, I've decided it's time to move forward a little this week.

Summer 2000 was an amazing time, musically speaking; with debut albums from Richard Ashcroft, Coldplay and Doves, amongst others. However, for me, the album that really stood out was by a 30 year old, woolly hatted Mancunian named Damon Gough, AKA Badly Drawn Boy.

I remember hearing a Badly Drawn Boy song (I think it was Another Pearl) on the radio one evening and being completely blown away. I bought the album the next day.

The Hour of Bewilderbeast
combines a whole range of musical genres from folk to indie pop to jazz. There are pared-down acoustic songs and tracks employing complex layers of instrumentation. The lyrics chart the history of a relationship, with all its ups and downs. The Hour of Bewilderbeast deservedly won the prestigious Mercury Music Award in the year 2000.

Although I played the album to death the summer I bought it, I still never tire of listening to it.
Camping Next To Water seems like a good choice for a slightly grey Bank Holiday Monday, so here it is.


Happy Musical Monday...





Camping Next To Water - Badly Drawn Boy (The Hour of Bewilderbeast, 2000)

8 comments:

WDKY said...

Another superb choice. I've been thinking for ages that I need some BDB - everything I've heard has been fantastic. You've just given me a udge towards Amazon, so thanks, Julie.

And Happy Musical Monday, of course :-)

Unknown said...

LOVE BDB. My hubby is a huge fan. To my shame I havent got any of his albums, think Jim has one. You seem likean avid music fan. Since I had kids I guess I listen to less music and more cbeebies. You have inspired me to get back into my music. I have such a varied taste. Need to fill up my itunes I think.

The Boy said...

Haven't heard that in ages, good find.

Julie Midas said...

WDKY,

Every music collection should have at least one BDB album, definitely.

I'm always finding gaps in my music collection that I have to fill. I was just thinking today that I need to buy some Lou Reed/Velvet Underground CDs to replace the ancient tapes I had. I'm dreadful if I let myself loose on CD websites! What did you buy at Amazon?

Julie Midas said...

Kell,

CBeebies tends to take our house over slightly too. Daisy often insists that she needs to have it on - whether or not she's actually watching it!

I always have music on when I'm in the kitchen, though. Even if it's only Radio 1.

My boys like some of the music I listen to but other times I get, "Mum, turn that down!" Funny, I always thought it was the parents who were supposed to say that!

Julie Midas said...

The Boy,

Thanks. I aim to please!

NML/Natalie said...

Oh dear...I think we have veeeery different musical tastes! I love it though as I get an education. It's good for me to expland my listening...

Julie Midas said...

Hmmm... take it Badly Drawn Boy, isn't exactly your cup of tea then, NML?! My taste in music is quite eclectic so keep listening. You might be pleasantly surprised one day ;-)